Thursday, April 21, 2011

Pray for Texas?

I've decided to follow more Austin blogs so I can get to know the city before moving there. Since I follow SFist, I figured it'd be a good idea to follow Austinist. Today they brought to my attention an article that further entrenches the hole I've dug myself trying to defend my reasoning for wanting to move to Texas. Governor Rick Perry has proclaimed the next 3 days "Days of Prayer" for rain in Texas. Look how official-like it has been stated:
NOWTHEREFORE, I, RICK PERRY, Governor of Texas, under the authority vested in me by the Constitution and Statutes of the State of Texas, do hereby proclaim the three-day period from Friday, April 22, 2011, to Sunday, April 24, 2011, as Days of Prayer for Rain in the State of Texas. I urge Texans of all faiths and traditions to offer prayers on that day for the healing of our land, the rebuilding of our communities and the restoration of our normal way of life.

Yeah, the state has sustained tremendous wildfire damage. We get that. Yeah, Texas is stereotypically "Jeasusville" in the eyes of basically everyone. This just makes it harder for me to defend the state against ignorance. Sure, prayer wouldn't hurt, but if rain does come in the next 3 days, I'm sure Perry will find satisfaction in his mandate and suggest the prayer was the solution.

I sure do hope that rain does come, but I'm not going to pray for it, and I'm not going to feel bad not praying for it.

I still want to move to Texas.

[I'm grogy and sick. Don't blame me for this poorly written piece of crap. You get what I mean, right?]

[Perry's Proclamation]
[Article @ Austinist]

No comments:

Post a Comment