Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I don't like the word blog.

Lets talk about what I've come to find every blogger I follow to discuss:
Wordpress Vs. Blogger

Obviously we (I use the word "we" loosely, seeing as my dear friend Caleb has not posted in months...) at Titsncrackers  are using wordpress. I've actually noticed something very interesting. I'm not sure if this is true for everywhere because this is only judging by following a ton of bloggers from 2 cities (Austin & San Francisco) but I've noticed that physical proximity generally determines the blogging platform you see new-comer bloggers use.

I chose to blog via Wordpress because a majority of the blogs I follow in San Francisco are using Wordpress as well. What I did not know, however, was the difference between wordpress.com and wordpress.org. Since we started on the .com I've come to find that all the blogs I follow that use wordpress are using .org. I've also noticed that all the blogs I follow from Austin are using Blogger. At least on Wordpress you don't have to see the word blog every time you post a new entry. I really don't like that word.

Upon my move to Austin, I figure I'll have more substance to write about. I'm planning on starting a new blog that will document my experiences the week before, the journey to, and my life in Austin. I'll still post here if Caleb wants to keep it because I am guaranteed to have unrelated topics to talk about that must go somewhere, and here is the greatest outlet.

So where should I post this fabulous new blog that is sure to land me a book deal and fame and fortune? I've never used blogger, and have come to get used to the quirks of wordpress. I've found that with different themes you can use different widgets. I've figured out how to use each widget and wtf a widget even is in the first place. I figured out "featured images" and how to put an image into the body of a post. I figured out how to save drafts, and what an "excerpt" is and a "trackback." Sure, it's fairly easy for me to figure out a new interface, but am I trying to say I fear change? I think I've just challenged myself.

I guess the best way to go about this is to create a test blog to feel blogger out. I'd really love some input though. What does everyone prefer? What are the benefits and cons of either? Gah I'm so confused. Should I be looking into any other blogging sites? Blogspot? Livejournal? I guess I should research this and get back to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment