Monday, October 3, 2011

Music Monday Spotlight True Blood


I downloaded a few True Blood Soundtracks.
Don't write me off yet, though! If you don't happen to like, or have never seen, the series, I bet you'd like some of the music featured on the show. Whoever they have as their Music supervisor (or whatever you call the person that picks music) is a friggen genius. Take, for example, the theme song:

Jace Everett "Bad Things"
Not only is the song amazing, but the visuals are stunning. I don't know what the south is actually like, seeing as I've never been anywhere but Austin, but this video depicts exactly how I visualize it.

Allow me to supply you with some more examples of True Blood's amazing song selection:

Gil Scott-Heron "Me and the Devil"
I've never heard of this person, but Gil Scott-Heron is definitely going on my download list. The backtrack is amazing, and his voice is haunting. Not to mention this video mesmerizing.

Cary Ann Hearst "Hells Bells"
When I heard this song for the first time, I almost thought it was Ashlee Simpson singing it, and boy am I glad it's not! Now I can consider this song a pleasure, without the guilt. Cary Ann Hearst is weirdly beautiful. Another down on my download list.

BlakRoc "What You Do To Me"
THE BLACK KEYS HAVE A HIP-HOP PROJECT! Sorry, I had to put that in caps because I was unaware of this! I know, someone as obsessed with the Black Keys as I am should know these things, but I had no idea! This song is making me blush.

Massive Attack "Paradise Circus"
I love Massive Attack and I cannot believe I haven't written about their song Teardrop before (the theme song to House). The singer's voice is haunting and sultry. She sounds like the little sister to Audrey Hepburn, and the lesbian lover of Grace Potter. None of that is true, obviously. I want to jump ber bones, though I've never seen a picture of her.

Dr. John "I Don't Wanna Know"
Of course the first hit I get for this song is a True Blood mash. The live version is even better than the album track, and I love that. You know a true artist when they're better live, and Dr. John is indeed a true artist.

Little Big Town "Bones"
The beginning of this video is entertaining because you can hardly hear the girl, so it kinda looks like she's singing with a man's voice. Now, I didn't used to be into Country. I always thought every country song sounded exactly the same, and I still do, but I like that sound now. This one gives me goosebumps.

Neko Case & Nick Cave "She's Not There" (Zombies Cover)
I am ashamed to admit that I recognize this song from Glee. I am not ashamed to say that Neko Case & Nick Cave do a MUCH better job with it. I like it even more than the original Zombies version even. It fits perfectly with the True Blood series.

CC Adcock & The Lafayette Marquis "Bleed 2 Feed"
 
Here's another going on my download list. It's like a cross between a California Surf song, Louisiana back-yard porch hoe-down, and Austin Texas Rock 'n Roll. I dig it.


Is it just me, or do all of these songs make a curiously erotic playlist? Oh my, I have found myself blushing again.


No comments:

Post a Comment